Friday, April 20, 2012

Personal Notes on Naked Lunch




I won’t even pretend that I’m capable of talking about Naked Lunch in terms of plot or meaning as the author intended it. In fact, Burroughs mentions in the novel that the reader should be able to flip to any chapter, start reading, and it have the same intended effect. This, to me, suggests that any implicit meaning in Naked Lunch is relegated to the way in which the novel is read, not to the content in particular. And this is just as well—every time I picked up where I last left off reading, I may as well have been flipping fifty pages ahead. 

So if I can’t talk about the What or the Why of the content, I can talk about the How of its impact on me. Naked Lunch was a prose experience unlike any other I’ve had before. I’ve read things that blur the line between prose and poetry, but not quite like this. Here image upon image upon scene upon scene erupt from a hot magma source that glows with an olden magic—a source that is dark and frighteningly obscure yet familiar all the same. This source is the unconscious, and when I say that I don’t know if I mean Burroughs’s unconscious, my unconscious, or Jung’s collective unconscious. No matter where I started reading, it felt as though my mind, in response to the violence, sexuality, baseness, and mystery, was reaching into its core and throwing a fishing line into a region very far away. That’s the best way to describe it. There was no clarifying it any further. I just went with it.

So what did it this novel do to me as I was reading it. It pulled me under. It dragged me down and tore off with me, leaving me no choice but to hang on and ride it out. Burroughs used his addiction to heroin as a driving force of the “narrative,” and this in a way limited my perspective. He was coming from a particular angle in reference to a particular experience with a particular substance. I have no personal understanding of where he was coming from on that, but I did strongly feel that the themes of addiction and withdrawal running through the novel could in some ways be compared to a certain brand of American Dread. I don’t think I have to define this Dread, because I think everyone has experienced it and each in her own way. Anyway, to put words to it would be to put borders around it, and this feeling, this Dread, has an inherent property of making itself resistant to limits.

The Dreads go along with widespread Mental Sickness; they are both symptoms of a larger, far more malign problem. That problem is reality, or, more appropriately, the Keepers of Reality whose reign we silently consent to by virtue of doing nothing. Rather than experiencing reality through the unique and natural lens of our own minds, we let others think for us. Worse yet, we let idiots think for us. And in the chasm that emerges, there are the Dreads, there is the Mental Sickness. Each of the characters that wander through Naked Lunch are experiencing the world through a Mental Sickness carried to its extreme yet logical end. And this is honest and as it should be. In many ways, this is one of the most honest novels I have ever read: because everything is weird and sinister and horrible, but taken as the same old same old. The SNAFU principle at work.

Other ways the novel affected me: the point where dreams and waking life merge; the similarities between dream state and conscious state that often go unnoticed; language as the fundamental building block of reality; the alignment of prose and conscious life as we shape it; the alignment of poetry and worlds of the unconscious; rewiring the centers of the brain that sift through the information of reality; acknowledging a personal darkness that is really more neutral than good or bad; the world as a science fiction—Interzone; resigning oneself to the unfathomable and going with it; and so on.

To sum it up:

Archetypes of the unconscious
Addiction-->American Dread
Mental Sickness as a reasonable symptom
Misc.

No comments:

Post a Comment