Friday, July 15, 2011

Recent Reads, New Buys, and Upcoming Reviews


I’m slow to post on here lately, but the next week or two should see more action. In the last couple of weeks I’ve read Clifford D. Simak’s novella, The Big Front Yard, and three books by Richard Brautigan: Trout Fishing in America; The Pill versus the Springhill Mine Disaster; and In Watermelon Sugar. By the end of the weekend I’ll at least have a little something up on Simak’s novella. In addition to all the Brautigan books I just finished, I read Willard and His Bowling Trophies a couple months ago, so I’ll have tons to say about him. For now, it is enough to say that Richard Brautigan has tied with Tom Robbins for my favorite writer’s slot.

I’ve also got a lot of books queued that I bought used one place or another: Albert Goldbarth’s The Kitchen Sink; Lewis Thomas’s The Lives of a Cell; John Berryman’s Dream Songs; Harlan Ellison’s Approaching Oblivion; Samuel R. Delany’s The Fall of the Towers; Carol Emshwiller’s Report to the Men’s Club and Other Stories; and Philip Jose Farmer’s Down in the Black Gang and Other Stories.

Right now I am going back and forth between Robert Anton Wilson’s Illuminatus! books and Grant Morrison’s The Invisibles, and I should have reviews up on them sometime after those on Clifford D. Simak and Richard Brautigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment