Thursday, June 2, 2011

That twinkle in my eye? That's the reflection of the spotlight pivoting over to Mrs. Emshwiller for the week.

I just saw the May 30 Strange Horizons table of contents, and it injected an otherwise hot and monotonous day with a potent surge of that feeling you get when you’re a kid and an unexpected, late night telephone call from a teacher comes through right before bedtime explaining that school the next day is cancelled for some reason that’s irrelevant. 

That’s the kind of good mood I’m in.

Every department in this week's Strange Horizons (except poetry) takes Carol Emshwiller as its focus. There's the story, "After All," which comes with a nice introduction by Gavin J. Grant, an article in which other writers of high standing discuss her work, a consideration of the cult of "Emshwillerians," and reviews of The Collected Stories of Carol Emshwiller, Vol. I, Carmen Dog, Ledoyt, and Leaping Man Hill
 
I love it! I came across this goodie bag this evening right after having received Report to the Men's Club and Other Stories in the mail just this morning. I should have something up on that one soon, but up next is Samuel R. Delany's Triton.

No comments:

Post a Comment