Thursday, March 24, 2011

My First Encounter With Roger Zelazny

Zelazny, Roger. Doorways in the Sand. New York: Harper, 1991. Print.






Black cats, rooftop clambering forever-students, sentient, organic computers, talking wombats and kangaroos, star stones, inversion machines, telepathic Venus Flytraps, stereoisowhiskey, and desert-tramping lackeys, all wrapped up in a science fiction detective story of epic proportions. This is Roger Zelazny’s 1976 novel, Doorways in the Sand.

It’s not that I don’t want to give a good, informative, brief summary. I want to very much, but I can’t figure out where to even start, so convoluted and meandering (yet easy to follow) is the plot of this book. So instead, this random sampling of the kind of outrageous objects and characters that await the reader will have to do.

I don’t know that I have ever had as much fun reading a novel as I have had reading this one. The characters are well-developed and funny, the writing simple yet poetic in its descriptions, the ideas grand and sweeping, touching on everything from philosophy to alien anthropology and sociology. I can’t wait to get my hands on more of Zelazny’s stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment